Region of sun, sea, mountains and rocks
Dalmatia is usually seen on big posters, great sunny beaches, many small islands, big islands with boat parties, and there is more! Dalmatia hides also small deserted islands, great wild mountains and Dalmatian hinterland.
The great thing about Dalmatia is that it has good weather even in winter. Only one big enemy in the winter is heavily strong NE wind called “bura”. Bura in winter can go as fast as 220 km/h (137 mph)! Then it just takes everything apart, ferries stop operating, roads close, and no one is outside of the house. However, without bura, climate here is sunny, with mild winters and hot summers.
This gives Dalmatia great popularity as summer and beach destination. Dalmatia has the cleanest seawater and the most beautiful beaches in the world. Dalmatian mountains are high and wild; heaven for rock climber on magnificent limestone, and astonishment for a hiker as usual hikes give better sea views with every step higher you take!
When in Dalmatia, eat seafood, grilled fish (riba s gradela), fresh vegetables, do not skip eating blitva (Swiss chard), as it is so typical food for Dalmatia, that sometimes Dalmatians are called “blitvari” instead of “dalmatinci”.
- Wild chamois on Biokovo mointain above Makarska riviera Wild chamois on Biokovo mointain above Makarska riviera
- Zlatni Rat (Golden horn) beach in Bol on Brac popular for wind surfing Zlatni Rat (Golden horn) beach in Bol on Brac popular for wind surfing
- View from the walls of Dubrovnik on town and island Lokrum View from the walls of Dubrovnik on town and island Lokrum
- Romantic small streets of Hvar Romantic small streets of Hvar
- Korcula the hometown of explorer Marco Polo Korcula the hometown of explorer Marco Polo
- Green Krka waterfalls near Sibenik Green Krka waterfalls near Sibenik
- Town Lastovo on island Lastovo a place where time has stopped Town Lastovo on island Lastovo a place where time has stopped
- Blue cave on Bisevo Blue cave on Bisevo
- Blue Lake in Imotski Blue Lake in Imotski
- Palagruza the most far away Croatian island with lighthouse Palagruza the most far away Croatian island with lighthouse
- Island Pasman has rocky shore on its west side with views on Kornati Island Pasman has rocky shore on its west side with views on Kornati
- River Zrmanja near Zadar where Winnetou films were filmed River Zrmanja near Zadar where Winnetou films were filmed
Hot climate is great for olives and for grapes, so Dalmatian wine and olive oil is something to enjoy while visiting! Dalmatian prosciutto (dalmatinski pršut) and dalmatian bacon (pancetta) are specially dried on bura wind during the winter so they can be served to you in the next season. Great speciality is Dalmatian peka, where meat (usually lamb and veal) is cooked and baked under the bell together with plenty of vegetables, which produces mouth-watering juicy and soft meal.
For dessert, good to try is sweet flan prepared with eggs and sugar, called rožata, and in some parts of dalmatia available cake Makarana, made with lots of almonds.